Friday, September 2, 2011

Do I Have ADD?

I was sitting in a co-worker's office the other day when our assistant tennis coach pointed something out to me that I never really thought of. I had tied a piece of string to a rubber band and was using it to try and lasso items while I conversed with another. I never thought anything of it until the following conversation (words not exact but how I remember them).

Stokke: What is that? Did you make a lasso?
Me: I guess so, or I can also use it to snap people with. I don't really think about what I am using it for
Stokke: Are you any good at it?
Me: I haven't snagged anything yet.

a few minutes later

Stokke: Have you ever woke up in the morning and had serious ADD?
Me: (holding up the rubberband/string lasso) ummm yeah sometimes

That was when it hit me that maybe I do have ADD or better known as Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I started to look up the definition but then forgot about it and started bouncing a Monique Currie ball off the wall.

Let me break down the words of the disorder to see if it really does apply to me.

ADULT: Debatable - I guess since I am almost to turn 30 I would qualify for this. However many who know me might disagree as I act childish more often than not. When I volunteer at the Children's Hospital I enjoy playing with the toys more than the kids do sometimes, same with my two nieces. I consider myself to be very playful and like to create games to play, usually around the office to the chagrin of my co-workers. At home I have a basket full of balls on my end table in the living room, a slinky, two marshmallow guns and several other games throughout. I have at least two examples of this in my office alone as I have my prizes from the state fair, a stuffed Stewie from family guy and a stuffed clownfish from nemo, hanging up. There are other stories behind this but I will save them for my state fair blog. 



ATTENTION: Average - I can buckle down and focus when I need to but at the same time it is really easy for things to steal my attention. For instance I could be working on a press release at work and someone sends me an email with a video in it. Next thing I know I am watching the video, then talking to someone about the video, then talking to the same person about 20 other random topics and all of a sudden it is an hour later. I then go down the hall to ask someone a question and end up back at my office finishing the release 2-3 hours later when I remember what I was originally doing. At home it is the same way. I get my bills together to pay them and then the stove timer goes off, load of laundry finishes, Swamp People comes on TV and then 2-3 days later I find the bills on the counter and pay them.

DEFICIT - Yes - not relatable but financially it can be a struggle at times. The darn rise of gas prices has caused everything to go up a lot and unfortunately the salary has remained the same so either I stop eating Chick-Fil-A chicken biscuits or I just have to live month to month. Easy choice is I choose chicken biscuits and living month to month.

HYPERACTIVITY - Good here - hyperactivity does not fit me. I am about as laid back as it gets. I am a lean back, prop the feet up and have an iced tea by my side sort of guy. I force myself to run but hate it. Mentally I am bouncing off the walls all the time but physically I could pass as one of those guys who paint themselves bronze or something else and pretend to be a statue like this statue of liberty guy.

DISORDER: Your guess is as good as mine - ADD up all the previous information and it certainly sounds like I could have ADD. When it comes to playing around and making up games I might be an ADDict because I do it pretty much all day long. This may be something I need to ADDress in the future but for right now I think I am fine.

If any of you think I do have ADD and need to seek help I am open to an intervention. I have never been a part of one and am always looking to improve myself. I won't change my ways but that is just being stubborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment