Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Age Milestones

This past week my family celebrated two milestones with my grandparents reaching their 60th wedding anniversary and my great grandmother turning 102 years old. To me these are both numbers you don't see that often anymore.

Last Wednesday we had a small get together at my grandparents' house, consisting of happy hour drinks, cheese and crackers and cake. My grandparents have never really liked receiving gifts so we had a card shower for them. The community and friends/family supplied a large stack of cards wishing them well on their accomplishment. This was a perfect party because my Grandpa Don likes happy hour and it was just a handful of people joking around so they had fun. I don't like buying greeting cards so I made one with my limited resources. I did find this cool picture of them when they were younger.


My Grandpa Don told a story of how he promised my Grandma Joyce when they got together that they would be together 60 years. He was proud of this story but we all joked about which one had their bags packed first to get away from the other one after they reached that promise. Truthfully though they have never had a lot but they made the most of what they did have and were great to all of us around them.

I feel very fortunate that both my sets of grandparents were married for at least 60 years. I am now sure if that happens very often or will ever happen again the way people divorce nowadays. My other grandparents were married 65 years and were a few weeks from 66 when my Grandpa passed away in December.

The second milestone we celebrated was my Great Grandmother Edrie hitting 102. The last two years I have been in North Carolina and Texas when she had parties for 100 and 101 so I was ecstatic that I was able to join her for 102. She is a special lady. She still cooks, cleans and does the laundry although she doesn't move as fast as she used to. She still looks great and still loves the Chicago Cubs and watches them all the time (god bless her).



We had a family gathering at the train depot in town with a potluck lunch to celebrate. Then we opened up the party to the town so many others who have enjoyed her cinnamon rolls over the years could come say hello. She was a cook at the school for a long time and also at a restaurant in town. Her doughnuts are the most amazing thing I have ever tasted in my 31 years.

Hitting the century mark is quite an accomplishment and is probably the number one age milestone in my opinion. She has gone two years past that and isn't slowing down a bit. This made me think of what some of the other age milestones are so I did my list of top 10 age milestones and here it is.

#1: 100

To me reaching 100 is the top milestone. So few people hit this mark so by difficulty alone it earns the top spot. When you think about the United States only existing for less than 250 years than being alive for 40 percent of that is pretty impressive.

#2:  16

After 100 there could be some debate for what is the next best milestone but for me it is 16. Cars are such an integral part of our everyday life that I have a hard time imagining what it was like before I turned 16 and could drive. The excitement of finally being legal to get behind the wheel of the car was something I will never forget. Plus it gave MTV a couple of shows to fill their nonsense programming (My Super Sweet 16, 16 and Pregnant).

#3: 21

Many people would put 21 at No. 2 or even No. 1 but I am not an alcoholic so I don't think it was as big of a deal. I enjoy a cold beverage every now and again but I didn't even get drunk when I turned 21. I did the unthinkable and went with my ex-girlfriend to the ESPN Zone in Denver for dinner. Then bought some beer and went back to my apartment. I didn't think getting sick on my birthday sounded like a good time. Silly me! More importantly than being able to drink though is being able to gamble. I do love me some Las Vegas.

#4: 18

Two big things happen when you turn 18 years old. Yes you are more than likely finished or are just finishing high school and starting a new chapter in your life but I am talking about becoming eligible to utilize your right to vote and being able to buy cigarettes. You feel like such a rebel when you can walk in for the first time and purchase something people have been telling you for years aren't good for you. I never have smoked cigarettes but a good cigar with a few buddies is nice every now and again.

#5: 65

After being around my family for awhile now I have moved 65 up the list. What other age do you hit and start receiving a paycheck for it. Once you reach 65 you are eligible to start receiving Social Security checks. Of course you have been paying into the national Social Security fund for 50 years at this point but isn't it nice to get some extra cash flowing in each month. Of course when I turn 65, all the money I have put in will be gone and I will have to drop 65 off my top 10. Also you can start using medicare benefits which can be either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

#6: 25

Turning 25 might not seem like a big deal but it has another added benefit to it. You can rent a car when you turn 25. I am not sure how people came to choosing 25 as the limit for renting cars but if you travel a lot this is sure handy.

#7: 40

Any time you creep into a new decade of life it will have meaning. Most people regret having their age start with a new number like going from your 20's to 30's or 30's to 40's. To me 40 has the most meaning of any of these decade transitions because it allows you to do some crazy stuff and call it a mid-life crisis. When I turn 40 I will probably get a drop top convertible, dye my hair blond with highlights and have some 20 year old hanging out with me. The 20 year old will probably be my niece Jordan keeping me company because she is the only one who laughs at my goofiness.

#8: 1

Well sure being one year old is a special time for the parents and grandparents but to you it is a meaningless birthday. You have no idea what is going on at that age. You don't know what presents are and are wondering why someone is putting fire on a stick on your cake you can't even eat yet. It does mean your parents are probably not incompetent to the point where they killed you the first year so that is good.

#9: 2

You still don't understand a ton by your second birthday but two years old is one of the few ages that have garnered their own nickname. When you hit two years old people remark "oh the terrible twos." Sweet 16 is the other one with a nickname I could think of. You don't hear people say you are in the eager elevens or the fly fifteens so that puts No. 2 in my top 10.

#10: 30

For me 30 is my 10th most important age milestone. I don't have any significant reason other than I know my life changed a lot at 30 and my sister freaked out when she reached that age. I moved to Texas on my 30th birthday and nothing has gone right for me since then. Yes I blame it all on Texas because I have not had anything good come from being in that awful state haha. For my sister I am not sure why she hated turning 30 so much but I guess it makes you feel more like an adult and realize your party days may be mostly behind you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment