Sunday, October 23, 2011

Panic! At the Disco

Everyone says Austin is the live music capital of the world so a couple of weeks ago I went and checked out a list of upcoming concerts and found that Panic! At the Disco was coming to town. They were going to be playing at a place called La Zona Rosa downtown so I decided it would be fun to go. I like a couple of their songs and most importantly it would get me out of this funk I have been in with work dominating my life.

Not expecting much other than a night out, I was shocked when Panic! At the Disco put on an amazing show and became one of my two favorite bands right now. I would say the country concerts I have been to were people more my age but this concert had way better sound quality, venue and music.

From previous experiences most concerts are fun but the music is never as good as it sounds on CD or ITunes or whatever. Usually all you hear is a ton of base, loud noise and some mumbling into a microphone but if you know the band well it doesn't matter because you already know the words. This concert started out that way as Foxy Shazam and Patrick Stump both had those qualities. Stump does have a terrific voice but it got lost a lot in the loudness of the bass guitar. I will give Stump some credit because he played the same song Mike Tyson sang at the piano in The Hangover!

However, Panic! At the Disco must have some extraordinary sounds technicians because the voices were clear as day as was each instrument. The energy was extremely high and the talent is through the roof for those four guys. It was one of those concerts where as soon as you get in your car you want to play their CD and listen to all those songs all over again. In fact as I am writing this I am listening to my Panic! At the Disco pandora station and the Ballad of Mona Lisa just came on haha. The concert was awesome and I would love to go back and see those guys again.



The venue was also good. It wasn't a huge basketball arena or some big outdoor place with a ginormous lawn. If I were to guess La Zona Rosa could probably hold around 500-1000 people and it was great because I could see the stage really well and I didn't have to get in the middle of a bunch of crazy high school kids. I am not a big crowd person so I found a great leaning place up against a wall with a clear view of the stage and nobody crowding me or running into me. Also of note the La Zona Rosa was mentioned in a song by Little Texas called Amy's Back in Austin. The line reads

I bet Amy's back in Austin
Workin' at the LaZona Rosa Cafe
I remember the night we lost it
And the day she went away

Well Ben is back in Austin but I would recommend Amy not come back unless she is going to see Panic! At the Disco.

No comments:

Post a Comment