Sunday, October 16, 2011

State Fair: Fried Food and Crazy People

My absense from the blog world has in large part been due to me moving halfway across the United States, trying to get a place to live, learning a new city and working every waking moment of my day but not that I have figured some of that out I decided to get back into the swing of things. I am sorry if some of you have enjoyed the absense of my blog because it is back baby!!

There are countless topics I could write about with my new experiences this past month here in Austin, Texas but I have instead decided to go a different route and talk about the State Fair.

This time of year is usually when most states have people from all over conglomerate for a few simple things ... fried food, carnival rides and games and people watching. Well at least that is why I go and I can only speak for myself.

I remember the county fair growing up in my hometown and have some good memories from when I was younger. I would like to thank my grandpa for letting me enter one of his ducks to win a grand champion purple ribbon one year. For anyone who knows me I don't know the first thing about ducks or taking care of one but it was a way for my grandpa to get me some extra cash.

When I got older I hated the county fair mostly because I was ready to get out of town and experience the world and also because some of the cowboys made me mad. Now I live in Texas where more cowboys can make me mad haha. The only two cowboys I ever really liked were John Wayne and the giant cowboy in Las Vegas. I liked John Wayne because I heard he used to own an entire street block and he lived on one end and his wife on the other. You have to love your personal space. With the Vegas one I don't need to explain.

I really fell in love with the State Fair when I moved to North Carolina. An annual event, I would go and try different fried foods. One year I even ventured to try a turkey leg which congealed in my stomach like candle wax and allowed me swallow fire if I wanted to. I also learned the tricks of the trade from eight year old kids on the water gun carnival game. After studying them for a good one or two hours I perfected my approach and am now dominate. I have a stuffed clownfish and a stewie doll from family guy to show for it.

This year I was very excited to check out the Texas State Fair. The Red River Rivalry game and state fair all in one place ... perfect storm right. Well work got in the way and I never really got to spend any time at the fair. After we lost the game in the second quarter I thought about leaving at halftime to go walk around but decided I should keep my job. So afterwards we made one quick walkthrough and got a famous corny dog which by the way is just a regular corn dog and nothing worth bragging about. It was hard walking by the fried bubble gum stand for three straight days and not partaking I can tell you that. Next year I vow to double my fried food intake to make up for this year however.

I did get my fair share of people watching in this year though and let me tell you it never gets old. I can't describe any in particular but I am positive Jerry Springer could do a one stop shop for guests on his show.

To close this week I would like to mention that I have thought seriously for the last two years about leaving my job and going on the road as a carny for one year. I feel I could run a ring toss game or guess people's birthday or something and then just talk to random people. After one year I could easily write a book and become a best selling author.

No comments:

Post a Comment