Tuesday, January 10, 2012

End of Cable

The decision has been made - I am cutting my ties with Time Warner Cable. I may miss a couple of things but overall this is a good move. I decided that once the Broncos were out of the playoffs I would no longer need to watch TV. I, like many of you, don't know what life will be like without sitcoms, reality TV shows, sports or the same movie showing every two hours on TBS and TNT Friday through Sunday.

Of course the Broncos won on an 80-yard touchdown pass in overtime against the Steelers last weekend so I will have cable at least one more week. However, here is how I see my AC (after cable) years.



Netflix - I have signed up for Netflix and can now view tons of movies and TV shows whenever I want. With my limited time at home these days anyway I can easily fill a couple of hours with a movie on Netflix or one of my hundred DVDs I own.

Friday Night Lights - I have to mention this because it is the best TV show of all time and there will never be another show like it. I own every season and can just keep watching episodes over and over again. The only show I watch now on TV is Gold Rush on the discovery channel and the season is almost over.

Sports - I still will be paying for internet so with my Watch ESPN website I can catch almost all Duke games or any other college hoops game online. For any other sporting event it will make me leave my apartment to go grab a brew at a local sports bar.

Cost savings - Time Warner has ridiculously increased prices to over $100 a month so I started thinking about what I could do with $1,200 a year. Some options for where that money can go include my trip to Europe for my final Master's class this spring, buying a new car this summer, eating at Sonic four times a week instead of two or paying homage to the Landing Strip from Friday Night Lights  but that would also be throwing money away so I won't do that.



In my mind it makes perfect sense to cancel cable even though I hated not having it when I moved to Texas and didn't have a TV for a month. I feel like I need to get out more though and if I don't have TV then I really have no reason to be home other than to sleep and entertain during my dinner parties.


Oh wait I am not the Great Gatsby so really I just need to sleep at home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment